Helen's Blog post 4

On our first day in Tainan after storing our luggage in the hotel we walked over to the National Cheng Kung University and got a tour of campus from local students. I found that the campus has a very East-Asian university vibe that I really like. It feels very comforting and nostalgic. I also like the style of the Japanese colonial barracks (sue me!). I still haven’t got the opportunity to ask if Cheng Kung Unversity is named after Zheng Chenggong (郑成功) so I looked it up and it is! I was a bit unsure because 成功 literally translates to “success” and National Success University is not a bad name on its own. Also thinking of the romanization of the name, it makes me think about how I don’t understand the romanization of Taiwanese place names at all. I feel like it is nearly impossible to guess what character or its actual meaning from how it is written in English or sometimes even how to pronounce it all. It was easy for most of Taipei (outside of the city name haha) especially in the metro stations but now in the south there is no rhyme or reason. I know historical romanization was all over the place (e.g. Peking vs Beijing) but now it is very standardized in places like Singapore or Mainland China. Because all of the place names I’ve seen are romanized from Mandarin (国语) I’m curious why they are not standardized as well? 


Linguistic tangent over, I’ve been having a great time in Tainan. I do think I like the vibe of the city way more and I think the food and shopping has been better! After our workshop and brainstorming I got dinner at a dumpling place and went to this classical Chinese inspired bar nearby. I got this absinthe based drink that they lit on fire! It was very fun and very delicious. I had a great time trying to decipher the meaning of all the complex Chinese-idiom (成语) based cocktail names with the help of Heather, who’s a local Taiwan student. It really reminded me that there's basically a whole level of Chinese language that I basically haven’t reached at all and it makes me excited to learn more.




The next day we went to a fabric market and walked around this popular shopping and food area. We got lunch at this trendy hole-in-wall pork sticky rice place and got very pretentious and expensive matcha after. Besides the matcha place, the area seemed very down-to-earth and somewhere where you can genuinely relax and have fun, with a healthy dose of trendy influencer nonsense of course! After walking around we went to this life-changingly good beef soup place (牛肉汤). I would say the name if I remembered it, but such a good day overall! 






Comments

  1. Wow, you went to 萬昌起義! A very cool bar that has cool names for drinks. I want to see the picture of the "pretentious and expensive matcha"!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Taiwan Blog Post 1

Helen's Blog 5

Helen's Blog 3